The Hallcroft development in Middleton by Wirksworth consists of the construction of 14 residential properties and associated infrastructure. The buildings are a mixture of single and two-storey houses both terraced and semi-detached.
The client for this project was Derwent Living a local housing association who appointed The Radleigh Group as main contractor.
We were asked to provide full engineering services on this project which included both Phase I and Phase II site investigations, a remediation strategy and validation report upon completion of the remediation.
The area was known to have been extensively mined for lead and mine shafts were known to exist on the site. It was also known that high levels of naturally occurring contaminants were present on the site.
- Phase I Desktop Study & Site Walkover Survey
- Phase II Intrusive Site Investigation
- Remediation strategy
- Validation report
- Soil percolation tests for soakaway drainage design
- Discharge land quality Planning Conditions
- Discharge NHBC land quality conditions
- Site walkover survey
- Historic map regression
- Review of third party environmental, geological and archaeological reports
- Geo-physical survey to locate buried mine shafts and lead rakes
- Excavation of targeted trial pits to expose potential mine shafts
- Excavation of trial pits to carry out geo-technical inspections and obtain soil samples
- Contamination and geological testing on excavated soil samples
- Soil percolation testing
- Regular site visits and meetings with Local Authority Environmental Health Dept
- Reinforced concrete cap design for located mine shafts
- Foundation design and detail for plots affected by shafts