We were employed as the Principal Consulting Engineer’s by TMI Foods to work with them in the development of an existing multi-span industrial unit and site for their subsequent relocation. Our role in this project ran from the initial planning application stage through to the completion of the project.
The scope of works involved the construction of a two storey office block extension across the front of the site with an attached plant room and a new high bay storage and distribution building. Infrastructure requirements included the service yard and parking areas, perimeter retaining walls, new site access and the storm water drainage.
An unfortunate fire which occurred soon after completion meant that we were required to assess the fire damaged structure where we worked closely with the clients insurers and loss adjusters.
- Liaise with the Planning Authority to obtain a consent and discharge of Planning Conditions
- Assess the strength of the existing multi span steel portal framed building
- Design the new steel structures and their foundations
- Design variable height dock levellers for double height lorries
- Design all the secondary support for pipe runs and equipment
- Specify and detail the hard surfaced parking and turning areas
- Liaise with the Highway Dept in the design of a new site entrance
- Storm water drainage design
- Reporting on the fire damage to the structure
- Provide ongoing structural advise and design to the contractor during the construction phase
- Attend regular site meetings
- Steel portal frames
- Mezzanine floors from composite metal decks
- Braced trussed rafter frames for the 12 metre high bay building
- Traditional pad foundations onto natural sand strata
- Gallows brackets, suspension systems and concrete plinths to support pipes, plant and equipment
- Tarmac, Asphalt and concrete yard surfaces
- Rainwater from the roofs to a rainwater harvester for re-cycling within the plant
- Cast in situ reinforced concrete retaining walls to loading bays and to site perimeter
- Attenuation system for storm water overflows
- Brinell hardness testing on fire damaged steel beams and tensile strength testing on steel floor plates