Structural survey and stability planning for an innovative conical roof design
Montague Architects designed a semi circular single storey extension to the property to create a large kitchen dining area. The extension came off the rear corner of the buildings which involved removing the original corner of the house, a structural survey and roof design review was to be undertaken to ensure viability of the solution.
In addition the half conical roof over the extension was to be exposed internally and the extension contained a considerable amount of glazing and slender pillars which would need structural attention.
We were employed to…
We were employed to carry out the structural design and detail of the proposed extension plus the structural design for the alterations to the existing this included:
- Structural survey of the existing property
- Steelwork and padstone design
- Innovative conical roof design and calculations
- Consideration of the overall stability of the proposals.
Solution for Dove Cottage
- Site visit to take measurements, photographs and details of the existing structure
- Trial pits to expose existing foundations
- Design and detail a suspended concrete ground floor
- A full set of structural calculations for Building Regulation Approval which included, loose steel beams, padstones, roof frames, timber rafters masonry stability, timber rafters and foundations.