Loft conversion structural support for MaKing Plans
We were employed by the Architects Making Plans to provide a solution to a very common alteration project. Their client sought to have their loft converted to provide additional habitable space, so to improve rather than move!
We were employed by the Architects MaKing Plans, to provide the loft conversion structural solution, inclusive of structural calculations and design for this exciting home renovation project – all complaints with todays loft conversion building regulations.
The property was a relatively modern home built early 2000. The roof construction was typical of the majority of recently built houses comprising pre-fabricated timber trusses at regular centres spanning between the external walls.
We were employed to…
- Determine a method of supporting the roof and ceiling to allow the removal of the internal truss lacings
- Provide structural calculations and design for the internal beams and dorma windows
- Design for the new loft conversion floor structure
- Design the trimming for the stairs.
Solution for Gillespie Close
Bayliss Consulting worked closely with the Architect to provide a fit-for-purpose solution for the loft conversion. Firstly a detailed site survey of the existing roof structure was undertaken so that preliminary drawings could be created, informing the architect of numerous factors:
- Structural steels to support the truss and new floors
- Load bearing stud partitions off the steel beams to support rafters
- Steelwork splice design and detail to allow the beams to be inserted in shorter, more convenient lengths